Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Getting nowhere as an American

This has been an issue with me for quite a long time.

Some background: My mother's ancestors founded Massachusetts. Two of them are signers of the Declaration of Independence. My father's ancestors were on the beach to greet them when they got here. Basically, my family has been in the US since the beginning. What does that get me? Absolutely nothing.

I bring home $280 per week from my job. That's 40 hours a week, after deductions. This is the money I live on. Last year I filled out the application at my son's school to get free fees and free lunches. I was denied. Their reason--my income was too high. That $280 is half of what is printed on the guidelines that are published with the application. I tried to appeal, and was told I could not appeal but I could reapply if the situation changes. I reapplied but the second application was ignored.

This year I applied again. The information remained the same except I changed one thing. Instead of marking "Caucasian", I took advantage of my father's ancestors and marked "Native American". We were approved.

Isn't it sad that you have to be either a minority or an illegal alien to get anywhere in the US? Being an American in America means nothing anymore. That's very sad.

No comments: